[this is the group that has TOM for composition]
Composition (end of college day on Tuesday 15th)
Write a 16-bar theme. You should include the melody line and a stave with chords.
- have two distinctive motivic ideas that are repeated and transformed (rhythm and articulation as important as pitch)
- have two cadences (perhaps one after 8 bars and the other at the end)
- vary the harmonic rhythm at least a couple of times (i.e. not two chords per bar for the whole thing
- include a modulation to the dominant or relative minor or something more adventurous at the second cadence
- incorporate a chromatic chord (see resources on Moodle)
OR submit an alternative brief proposal with about 16 bars of sketch
Please submit on the AS Moodle.
Instrumental (Thursday 17th)
Write a short essay on the following title: “Compare the Holborne (Pavane only) and the Debussy in terms of their texture”
You should use the five standard comparison questions for texture on p. 18 of the Course Handbook, using the information that we gathered on the A3 comparison grid. As a guide, you need to write five short paragraphs in which you compare the two works according to the topics suggested by the questions. You therefore should make about five points with examples from each work.
Nothing this week
Read the information about Howlin Wolf in your pack. Make sure you are familiar with the background to the song and also the basics of the piece i.e. Structure and main features