Performance EXAMS in TWO WEEKS – it is 35% of your final mark so, no excuses, you need to be practising really hard for the next two weeks.
- Recording yourself play all the way through pieces so you can hear where the problems are
- Focused, slow repetitive practice of tricky corners
- Tone and intonation exercises and making sure you stamina is at a peak
- Listening to recordings to get inspiration and to make sure you know how your part fits in with the piano part.
- Mark things on your music that will help you play well
- Timed essay on ALL TOPICS A-I this Wednesday
- Unseen AoS E listening (you need to review Core Wider Listening works for this)
This week you need to submit correction to your A section, a B section sketch and a reworked A section that finishes in the tonic to round of the first ABA’
Due Monday (A) / Wednesday (B)
For NEXT week (Monday 1st / Wednesday 3rd) I want correction plus a C section
I will check scores in the DOUBLE lesson next week to see that students are using Moodle notes and class notes to annotate their scores fully. They should have at LEAST as much as my annotated scores on Moodle. You should by then have completed Movements I, II and III. You will have to come to several tedious score annotating ‘detentions’ if you have not done this.
We will have a short answer quiz on the Haydn SECOND movement next week on Monday/Tuesday.
Looking ahead a little further, we will have an ESSAY on second movements on the Monday/Tuesday of the w/c 8th (last week of term)
Composition: Submit A section
Wondering what to do? Go back to the Rondo from Haydn 2 for inspiration:
- A group end of TUESDAY (moved from Monday)
- B group end of THURSDAY
Note: this week there is no lesson on MONDAY for A group so I will squeeze this in on Tuesday.
This week: mock question on Poulenc/Debussy and review of Haydn 4th Mov. and Mendelssohn Essay topics
I want to see EVERYONE’s Composition 1 this week please
Next week: mock unseen listening questions (C20), review of Movement 2 and essay topics J-L
Schedule this week:
- C GROUP (composition submission THURSDAY)
- Tuesday: Mock question on Debussy/Poulenc
- Wednesday: STUDY DAY
- Thursday: Mendelssohn essay topics review / Haydn First movement
- Friday: Musical Theatre
- D GROUP (composition submission TUESDAY)
- Tuesday: Mock question on Debussy/Poulenc PLUS Haydn First movement review
- Wednesday: STUDY DAY
- Friday: Mendelssohn essay topics review PLUS Musical Theatre
- Please submit Composition on TUESDAY (Group D) / Thursday (Group C), clearly stating what you would like me to give feedback on
For THIS WEEK
- Timed Essay on Topics F-I (WEDNESDAY)
- Debussy Revision
- Haydn Movement 3
For NEXT WEEK
- Mendelssohn Essay Topics
- Haydn Movement 4
- Prepare Core Wider Listening Works for Mock Question
PERFORMANCE PAPERWORK DUE IN WEDNESDAY
From last week
– make sure you have submitted your Storm and Love Theme on Moodle
– listen to the Andante movement from the Haydn with the score at least twice
Internal Composition Assessment
You need to write your first section in draft and hand it by the end of Monday (A) / Wednesday (B) next week.