A collection of links and documents to help you choose and prepare for applying to take music at University or Conservatoire. There is an excitingly huge range of very different courses out there so you need to make sure you really know what you are applying for. Spend time looking at the details of courses your want to apply for to check that they offer what you want and that you have a skills and qualifications you need to get a place and succeed.
Guardian University League Table – Music 2020 (new table just out)
HE Music (presentation from Wednesday 13th June 2018 – will be updated in due course)
Music Applicants Extension Tasks (recommended summer term / holiday tasks for those applying for traditional music degree courses)
Lite Bites – notes and tracks from the Year 12 mini lectures on diverse topics from Medieval music to Schenkerian analysis
Mini Chorale Workbook (some universities want you to have done some four-part harmony in the style of Bach. We don’t do it as part of our course, but here is a little workbook based on www.choraleguide.com)
- Thursday 18th July – UCAS Conservatoire Apply goes live (you can’t start your electronic application for 2020 entry before this point)
- 1st October – entry deadline for Music Applications (for drama and some other performing arts courses at conservatoires the deadlines are later)
- Remember that some colleges and some instruments will have specific audition requirements which you need to be aware of as soon as possible. LOOK ON THEIR WEBSITES
- The Guildhall School of Music and Drama is not in UCAS Cons, but has its own application process done through its website.
- Music Technology at Leeds and Popular Music at LIPA and BIMM are done through main UCAS process
- A very useful (but costly) service offered by many conservatoires is the consultation lesson in which you have a lesson with one of their teachers who then offers you advice. Contact institutions directly about this
UCAS Conservatoires Overview (my powerpoint from 2018 applications – will be updated in due course)