Year 13 Homework w/c 25th September
AoS A (for Monday 2nd October)
Write an essay discussing the development of the orchestra and of first movement / sonata forms from Stamitz up to and including Haydn Symphony 104. You can write two short essays or one integrated one. You can use existing notes but please make sure you also use the new development of the symphony notes online and make reference to the pieces listed there.
Composition (for Tuesday 3rd October)
Do some work on transitions, extensions and codettas. You must prioritise including ALL of the WCT Fingerprints (linked to from here) in your composition.
Please fill in WCT Weekly log and update each week to upload to Moodle.
Year 12 homework w/c 25th Sept.
Cadences (for this FRIDAY 29th)
Please complete the cadences on page 12 (C2). There is a workshop on FRIDAY at 12.30 if you are struggling.
Composition for next TUESDAY (3rd October)
Please write either a slow (crotchet = 60 or slower) or a fast (crotchet = 120 or faster) melody following the instructions below:
- Create a rhythmic idea of no more than five durations
- You might want to think of a shape as well (is your melody going up or down for each note)
- Decide on a time signature
- Decide on an instrument (ranges etc. at the bottom of this page)
- Choose an overall pitch and dynamic contour for your melody where is it going to go high/low, loud/quiet?
- Bars 1-2: turn your rhythm into a two-bar melody (make sure you add articulations and dynamics at this stage)
- check the range and qualities of your chosen instrument
- decide on the key of your melody (the first note should fit with the tonic)
- Bars 3-4: sequence your melody (move it up or down one or more steps)
- Bars 5-6: start the same as bars 1 and 3 but move off onto a new idea
- Bars 7-8: Continue from bar 6 and finish the melody so that the last two notes are either 2-1 of the scale or 7-8 and so could be harmonised by a perfect cadence.
You then need to put it on Sibelius. Make sure you set up the time signature, key and tempo (there is some help with putting in articulation etc. HERE).
Composition from Friday
Complete the texture exercise E2 on paper and then transfer onto Sibelius. You must finish the first line, you need not finish the second line if it takes you a long time. You will have a short amount of time to polish and submit at the end of Tuesday’s lesson.
Sibelius file is on Moodle. Please save to your H drive and I will show you how to submit on Tuesday.
Please keep it REALLY SIMPLE. Just oom-cha-cha-cha in the accompaniment bearing in mind the spacing and voice-leading we have been starting work on.
Year 13 HW w/c 18th Sept.
Composition (for Tuesday 26th by the end of the day)
This is really the main priority at the moment. Make sure you use the models provided on Moodle and get at least a second subject done plus improvements to your first. Getting a Codetta written too would be even better. Remember to look at the wide range of String Quartet textures available here on alevelmusic – there are two whole pages of varied examples to look at and listen to.
Get organized with your recital – get the Performance Programme Submission form done as soon as possible.
Year 12 HW w/c 18th September
Homework for Friday
Finish the Chords Exercises for the lesson on Friday.
Complete Basic Idea sheet either for the lesson on Wednesday / Thursday
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
- First two bars are ALL chord I (twice as long as last time)
- Second two bars are ALL chord IV or V and must be the same as bars 1-2 but adapted for the chord
In order to write the first TWO bars follow these instructions and THEN write the second two bars. Ignore the chord just stick to I for the first two bars
Year 12 Homework w/c 11th September
Starting Points HW2 (set Friday for TUESDAY 19th)
Do exercise B2 on the separate sheet of paper provided (Exercise B2). Please carefully note the following:
- All the notes must either be part of chord or if they are dissonances they must be standard embellishments as listed here and they must be labelled
- The second bar should be the same as the first other than any adaptations needed for it to fit with the new harmony
- You must include dynamics and articulation
Starting Points HW1 (set Wed/Thur for hand-in on FRIDAY)
Please complete all the exercises on the first FOUR pages of the starting points booklet (A1-A4). If you are struggling you must come to the workshop on Thursday at 11:25 in the Music Classroom rather than come on Friday having not completed the work.
Help on chords and inversions, figured bass can be found on this website by clicking on the links
Exercise A1 – in the second line of this you need to raise the seventh note of the scale (e.g. the G# below the tonic of A in the example completed for you)
Exercise A2 – done in class
Exercise A3 – shuffle the notes round so you get a triad in root position and all the notes as close together in a stack of thirds. Then look at the bottom note an work out which note of the scale it is so you can work out the Roman Numeral (1st note = I, 5th = V etc.)
Exercise A4 – this is slightly different. You need to work out the chord in root position first and the root will tell you the major or minor key – check the key signature to check you are correct.
Year 13 HW w/c 11th September
AoS A (WCT)
Listen to the exposition of first movement of the Mendelssohn (at the end of the WCT topic) with the score and consider where the First subject, transition, second subject and codetta might be. When you have had a think yourself, feel free to see what the wisdom of the internet has to say on the subject and see if you agree. Please make sure you have done this before next Monday – we will begin the lesson with a discussion of this with no preparation time – I will pick on people at random so make sure you are ready!
Composition (Due by the end of TUESDAY 19th September)
You need to type up some bullet points outlining the main models for your piece and what you are taking from them and upload on Moodle along with an initial idea for first subject or whatever.
AoS E (Twentieth Century) – For THURSDAY 21st September
Make sure you have listened to the Poulenc Second Movement with the score (you have the score – the track is on Moodle)
Homework w/c 4th Sept.
No homework as such but you need to get organised!
Have you done the summer tasks (see below)?
Apart from that:
- Show your parents the letter given out in class and bring back payment for the scores, buy the study guide, make sure they have concerts in diary [copy of letter]
- Buy a ring binder for music (don’t put all your subjects together, there is too much to put it all in one folder)
- Order tickets for the concert trips to CBSO: Letter / Permission form
- Make sure have organized instrumental/vocal lessons (yr 12 lesson request)
- If you are not confident on keys and chords – have a little HERE before your first lesson next week