You need to revise:
- Haydn and Short Answer (movements 1-3) C Group Link / D Group Link
- Poulenc Short Answer C group Link/ D Group Link
- AoS E Core Wider Listening (Ravel, Webern and Poulenc) C Group Link / D Group Link
- Musical Theatre / Dictation / AoS E listening practice (see Google Classroom)
Google Drive Revision Resources
- Do the research task on Topic H (Drama and Narrative) – due Monday 1st March
- Please revise for a test on the POULENC next Friday 5th March
- Please complete the research tasks for Topic I: Melody and Motif (Google Classroom) by Wednesday 3rd February. Please upload a scan of your notes so I know you have completed this work. There will be a timed essay on this on Wednesday 10th February and a Short Answer Test on ONE movement from the Haydn (some stuff to help you with revision is here)
- Please review the Debussy for a test on Friday 5th February. Debussy Review task here (on Google Classroom)
- Please hand in your composition work on Friday 12th February on Google Classroom for Portfolio Assessment 3. This will be the first and last time that I will give you a proper full mark for this work before it is finally submitted at Easter. You MUST please make sure that the new coversheet pasted at the beginning of your log is completed so I can see what you have done. I am putting this up as I do feedback so if you have not had feedback yet (or not submitted) you may have to wait a few days.
- You should hand in the corrections on your current composition by the end of today (Friday 15th)
- Complete the Core Wider Listening review task (on GC) by the end of Tuesday 19th. We will have a test on this during the lesson on Wednesday
- Prepare for a timed essay on Essay Topic M on Friday 22nd. There is a Review task on GC on Tuesday 19th to help you in this preparation.
This is obviously your main priority. You need to revise:
- Debussy and Poulenc set works
- Ravel, Webern and Poulenc core wider listening
- Make sure you are familiar with the focus styles of serialism/expressionism, impressionism and neo-classicism
- Haydn all movements
- Wider listening symphonies INCLUDING Mendelssohn
- Essay topic A-G
Revision booklet provided in hard copy and also here
Patronage and Commission
Composition submission (Friday 27th)
Please submit your work and you MUST UPDATE YOUR LOG indicating what you have done so that I can concentrate on those things that have changed.
Revision booklet here (hard copy to follow)
Wednesday 2nd December – Short Answer test on movements 1 and 2 of the Haydn AND short answer test on Debussy
Wednesday 9th December – Essay test on movement 3 OR 4 AND Short Answer test on movements 3 and 4 of the Haydn
Carry on with corrections, improvements and continuations. I will take everyone’s work in again on Friday 27th but I am happy to look at specific problems before then. Email me work with a clear question / passage to look at in the meantime.
Exam (for Wednesday)
Thoroughly learn and review the two Core Wider Listening works we have done so far (on Google Classroom). There will be a test on Wednesday
AoS A Timed Essay (Wednesday 18th)
Please revise for a test on ONE of first and second movement essay topics (including Mendelssohn – see notes posted on Google Classroom)
Please take the time to make some real progress on this and keep updating your log (linked to on your half term assessment PA1). Due in Wednesday/Friday next week,
Please revise for a topic test on Wednesday.
Haydn and Mendelssohn (due Monday 2nd November)
Read through the six readings on here on Google Classroom, making some brief notes. You should then write a short essay (approx. two pages hand written / 700 words) on the following : What are the main differences and similarities in the working life of Haydn and Mendelssohn (i.e. who was their employer, what were their duties, how did their working lives change etc.). This is the start of our preparation for Essay Topic M (patronage and commission).
Composition Portfolio Assessment 1 (Thursday 22nd October)
This is a statutory submission as part of your coursework.
Please submit here on Google Classroom
Make sure that you have done all of the following
1) Copied and pasted all your log entries into the new composition log (I am emailing you a link on Wednesday 14th)
2) Finished substantial sketches of both main thematic ideas and some developments of them
3) Incorporated at least FIVE WCT fingerprint
4) Included a range of textures and other ideas taken from other pieces. This might include examples from: a) the sonatas handout attached on Classroom (along with related material on Moodle) b) Romantic chromaticism handout c) textures taken from A level music and/or Moodle