Year 12 HW w/c 27th September
Homework for MONDAY 4th October
Final four-bar composition exercise (on Google Classroom)
Complete the four-bar texture using the template on GC. If you really can’t get it done on Sibelius then write out and scan or do on something else and upload a PDF. You must:
– write a melody in the violin with ARTICULATION and dynamics
– write a second bar CLOSELY based on the first
– create a simple bass line and texture using either SQ1, 3a 3b or 4 from here: https://alevelmusic.com/alevelcompositionhelp/writing-and-developing-a-simple-classical-theme/stage-4-texture/string-quartet-textures/ as a model
– finish stepwise onto the tonic for your cadence
Homework for Thursday
Please complete the following:
- Exercise B2 Extension (due by 4 pm Thursday)
- Exercise C1 (due by midnight on Thursday)
Year 13 HW w/c 20th September
AoS A (due by midnight on SUNDAY)
Complete the revision as per instructions on Classroom to help prepare for a Haydn Short Answer test on MONDAY. Link to assignment
AoS E (due by midnight on MONDAY)
Complete the Ravel review work on Google Classroom
Composition (due by 4pm on MONDAY)
Do corrections AND write a contrasting idea (second subject, another part of your story etc.). Please complete the log, updating your influences and attach. Next week, we are going to start filling in a proper log with WCT features etc. Submit on Google Classroom
Year 12 HW w/c 20th September
Work for MONDAY
Composition (Monday at 4.00)
Download Sibelius First and set up a student account (https://my.avid.com/get/sibelius-first)
Then write a NEW B2 exercise as a String Quartet using the template provided on the assignment.
You MUST use articulation and dynamics BUT please keep it REALLY SIMPLE and make sure the dissonances etc. are correct.
NOTE: In case you have a technological nightmare I have also included it as a PDF
Starting Points (due for Monday at midnight)
Exercises on Google Classroom (Due Thursday at 4.00)
Please have at least one try at Exercise B2 on page 18, following all the instructions carefully. SIMPLE IS GOOD! Remember that the second bar should be CLOSELY based on the first.
Scan / photograph and put up on Google Classroom here
Yr 12 HW w/c 13th September
Year 13 HW w/c 13th Sept.
AoS E (Thursday)
Make sure you have revised for the Debussy test on THURSDAY
Composition (Due by 4pm on MONDAY) – here on Google Classroom
- Decide what you are going to do for your composition. The default choice is some sort of sonata form or Minuet and Trio for String Quartet but there are many other options (including doing some sort of programmatic piece). It is important that you have a piece or pieces on which your composition is modelled. For the first part of your homework you need to decide: forces, form and main influence(s). You can scroll through the music Composition Moodle to find a piece to use as a model.
- Write an initial idea. Make sure you use the resources on the A level Composition Hub particularly Phrase Structures and Textures at the moment.
Welcome back to a (relatively) normal year. I am looking forward to getting on with your second and last year of music at KE!
- Don’t forget to come to the meeting about enrichment and music lessons on Monday 13 September 12.00-13.30 in the Lecture Theatre (not Chambers )
- You have a LiKE week first for which there is review work on the Debussy. In the first week back of teaching we will have a short formal test to check your knowledge of this set work.
- Revision materials (notes, video etc. do this thoroughly first by Wednesday 8th September at the latest)
- Revision Questions (do this next, by Friday 10th September at the latest)
- If you missed the exam you should make sure you do the resit on THURSDAY next week (it will not be the same as the paper taken by the other students – don’t presume the same essay questions/movements etc. will come up)
Any question. Please get in touch!
Welcome New Students!
Welcome to our new Year 12 Music students!
I am looking forward to meeting you. There is not much you need to do yet but:
- Make sure you attend the music enrichment and lessons session at 12.15 on your induction day in Chambers (opposite the main hall)
- Respond to your Google Classroom invite (https://classroom.google.com/c/MzIwMjgyMjU3MjAy?cjc=xga66e6) and fill in the Induction Questions.
- Think about how you are going take advantage of our heavily subsidised music lessons either on your first study or (if you really want to stay with a current private teacher) on a second study. You could support your music studies with voice or piano lessons, for example.
- There were some transition materials here: https://alevelmusic.com/as-handbook/year-11-transition-to-a-level-music/ but they are very much optional