This week: mock question on Poulenc/Debussy and review of Haydn 4th Mov. and Mendelssohn Essay topics
I want to see EVERYONE’s Composition 1 this week please
Next week: mock unseen listening questions (C20), review of Movement 2 and essay topics J-L
Schedule this week:
- C GROUP (composition submission THURSDAY)
- Tuesday: Mock question on Debussy/Poulenc
- Wednesday: STUDY DAY
- Thursday: Mendelssohn essay topics review / Haydn First movement
- Friday: Musical Theatre
- D GROUP (composition submission TUESDAY)
- Tuesday: Mock question on Debussy/Poulenc PLUS Haydn First movement review
- Wednesday: STUDY DAY
- Friday: Mendelssohn essay topics review PLUS Musical Theatre
- Please submit Composition on TUESDAY (Group D) / Thursday (Group C), clearly stating what you would like me to give feedback on
For THIS WEEK
- Timed Essay on Topics F-I (WEDNESDAY)
- Debussy Revision
- Haydn Movement 3
For NEXT WEEK
- Mendelssohn Essay Topics
- Haydn Movement 4
- Prepare Core Wider Listening Works for Mock Question
Fill out the composition log as fully as you can. I will take it in on Moodle at the end of the first Monday back after half term. If you know you are behind in composition – please do get some extra material written for your second pieces etc.
Lots of practice. Look at the video from the Showcase, make some notes on what you could improve. Remember playing live is a visual as well as an aural experience!
Exam revision and review
There will be a timed essay on any of topics A-E in the first week back. So please review your notes and practice making bullet-pointed plans without notes and writing first paragraphs. You need to know about Haydn and Mendelssohn as well as wider listening.
REMEMBER TO KEEP PRACTISING FOR YOUR PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT
Both compositions are due in at the end of next week (Friday 15th)
I am happy to provide to provide reactive feedback in the meantime if you email me with a file and specific questions
Listen to your performance on Moodle and fill in the boxes on the feedback form. Please hand the printed version in by the end of FRIDAY. I will put a tray out but you can hand it in during your lesson.
Please review the Haydn from the point of view of ALL essay topics for next week. There will be tests and review activities.
Review for next week
- AoS E wider listening pieces (particularly the three core ones)
- Haydn – Melody essay topic (including melody and motif in Haydn and Mendelssohn)
D – Tuesday / C – Thursday
Review for NEXT week
AoS E (C group Tuesday / D group Wednesday)
AoS A (C group Wednesday / D group Friday)
Review material for overall form essay
Composition (C: Wednesday / D: Tuesday )
Please hand in your COMPOSITION ONE with corrections
Composition Portfolio Assessment 2
DUE TUESDAY 18th DECEMBER but PLEASE hand in earlier and then re-submit if you change anything.
- COMPOSITION 1: I would like PRINTED scores and logs for this as well as Sibelius files on Moodle (this should be a finished rough draft)
- COMPOSITION 2: I just need a Sibelius file and a clear explanation in the text on Moodle of what this piece is (this should be some substantial sketches).
Revision for Mock
- Haydn Symphony 104 – details of all four movements so you can answer short answer questions on this work with a blank score
- Wider listening works, Haydn Symphony 104 AND Mendelssohn ‘Italian’ main points organised by topic for 15-mark essays (ESSAY WILL BE ONE FROM TOPICS A-H & L)
- Musical Theatre – main composers and the dates of their key works. Make sure you are clear about the main comparison points you should use for musical theatre
- Poulenc and Debussy set works so that you can answer detailed short answer questions on these works with a blank score
- Core Listening works so that you can describe them in terms of their various parameters. You have to explain, for example, form or harmony in a Core Listening work that contrasts with the unseen listening (5 marks)