Easter Homework A2
Create a revision timetable using the EXAM Countdown 2016 A2 to help plan effectively what you do where.
Complete the 2011 chorale given out in class (and any others you fancy from Moodle). Please make this the best you have ever done, checking and rechecking to practice your fault finding and fixing skills. Most common problems in 2012 chorale:
- repeated bass note
- augmented seconds
- confusion over when and when NOT to add a passing seventh at the cadence
Find problems and solutions, shuffling things around until they work. IF you can’t make a passage work, try different chords, keys and fingerprints.
Applied and Listening
- Please read articles 04, 05 and 06 on Keegan in the relevant Moodle folder and make appropriate annotations on your score.
- Make sure all other scores are annotated and up to date
- Use the resources under 6a Listening on Moodle to keep your skills sharp – plenty of exercises with mark schemes
- Feel free t0 do practice essays – I am always happy to mark them. There are titles on Moodle in the Applied section
Not yet set
AS Last week of term / Easter holidays
Create a revision timetable using the EXAM Countdown 2016 AS to help plan effectively what you do where
Anthology work over Easter
- You need to use your revision booklets to update all your annotations and then listen regularly to your annotated scores
- You need to learn the Comparison Standard Questions (and start practising answering them)
- You need to learn the context essays
Composition work over Easter
Please complete a draft QUESTION 1 for the sleeve note.
“Explain and comment on form and structure, indicating in particular how repetition and contrast are balanced”
You need to fill a side of A4 hand-written paper. Mention thematic and motivic repetitions, keys and modulations and any main contrasts.
AS Homework w/c 29th February
Fill in the planner given out in class, picking out the five most interesting comparison points for each of the four set works. In these works, rests and use of rhythmic motifs are worth discussing in addition to or instead of some of the standard comparison questions.
Tom: Please keep plugging away at your composition. Please also add to your tracker sheet at the end four interesting features of your composition. They need to cover TWO of the following: Texture, Melody, Rhythm, Harmony and Instrumentation
Iain: Not yet set
Finish Cadence Worksheet 14 on p. 34 of the harmony work book (all imperfect cadences)
A2 Homework (w/c 7th March)
Keep on going! If you are finished or nearly finished, please check your emails as on Tuesday evening I will be sending out a check list and a template for the cover sheet.
Please write a set of TEN bullet points (no intro or conclusion) for each of the following titles. Make sure you concentrate of bar numbered FEATURES of the music and explain where necessary how the feature is relevant to the question.
- Identify writing in On the Waterfront that helps to portray the brutality of the mobsters and the vulnerability of the main protagonist Terry Malloy?
- Discuss features of On the Waterfront that are influenced by jazz music
See Chorale Spring Term Work
1. Mark your partner’s essay using the answer sheet given out in class. Give ticks and double ticks for correct answers. On the cover sheet you DON’T need to give a mark but DO need to write down two or three features which have not been included.
2. Update your mindmap and anthology for the Brahms. There will be a folder check next week!
A2 Homework (29th February)
None set this week
See Spring Term Chorale work schedule
Essay: compare and contrast the use of texture and instrumentation in the Brahms and Miles Davis set works.
The essay should be handed in on Wednesday 9th complete with the cover sheet.
Please submit on Moodle
AS Homework w/c 29th February
- Write the following essay: Identify features of the TIPPETT that are typical of the Twentieth century. (NOTE: you should discuss both Neo-Classical features and those that are more generally typical). Deadline: FRIDAY
- Revise the Dowland – we are going to do a Skeleton score on WEDNESDAY
Finish p. 50 (started in class)
Submit on Moodle