Remote Learning: Week 2 (w/c 30th March)
Week 2: Intro Video
This week, before we start the Easter break, I would like you to do the following. I will then give you formal feedback over Easter so you can start really polishing it next term:
- Make corrections as per your feedback
- Make a list of WCT features from the brief and where they feature in your composition. This can just be a series of bullet points or a table in a Word or similar document
- Copy and paste your ABA’ after the C section. Choose at least one A section and rewrite it with a modified texture.
- Add a coda to the end (look at this handout on codas to help you)
Western Classical Tradition
- Keep on making notes on and revising for the timed essay at the end of this week on LAST MOVEMENTS. Video Part 1 / Video Part 2
- Complete Worksheet 2 (on Moodle) in readiness for a video and follow-up task later in the week
- Complete the dictation exercise on Moodle
- Watch this VIDEO that discusses answers to the worksheet and goes through the fourth movement of the Haydn
- COMPLETE the timed essay buy the end of Friday 3rd April and submit it on Moodle.
Remote Learning: Week 1
Welcome to online learning in these uncertain times. I will keep your work for each week all in one post for simplicity but I will add signposting to new materials as we go along. Any questions, please email me or even better post in the Moodle Online Forum.
This week we are carrying on with the Rondo composition, Haydn Finale and (later in the week) doing a bit of Musical Theatre.
Watch this video first. It is a general intro to the week and has some discussion of next steps in the Rondo:
Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EY3peslKhw (warning: some dodgy editing – I’m still getting used to the software!!!)
NOTE: if you are having Sibelius problems you could switch to Musescore. I now have this and I can also convert any Sibelius files that you need into this format. Email me.
Have another look at the brief to make sure you know what you are doing. This week, with a bit of luck for Thursday 26th on Moodle, I want you make corrections to your ABA’ opening (see feedback on Moodle) plus a first draft of your C section (which should be in the tonic minor).
There will be technical teething issues in these first few weeks. Please contact me for help! I was hoping to get free licences from Avid but as things shut down we will have to see. In the meantime you could subscribe to the free or student versions. If you can’t make this work, you can use alternative software like Musescore and Noteflight but sharing work with me will be a little bit more of a pain. Whatever, don’t worry. Stay in contact and we will find a way.
Western Classical Tradition
Do Worksheet 1 on Moodle (here on the Common Resources Moodle). This consists of some detailed questions on the score. When you have tried to answer them then you can continue.
Video 2 (watch this once you have finished Worksheet 1)
Complete the assignment on Moodle (due on Friday)
On a word document, or any format you like, put together a brief explanation of how Haydn uses interrupted cadences in the finale of 104. You need to show, with bar numbers, some of the surprises and delays that Haydn creates. You can just do it in prose, or as a poster or PowerPoint or whatever
There is also a dictation exercise on Moodle for you to complete.
Continue with making notes on the finale in the symphony. Use your Development of the Symphony essay booklet plus the notes here on alevelmusic. We will do a timed essay on finales at the end of next week.
We are doing Worksheet 48, which is in your MT Workbook 2 and also in this week’s folder on Moodle.
Starting on Friday 20th we are going to start recording videos of your practical programme so that we have something we can send to the board in the event that our examiner visit does not go ahead. You will have a rehearsal and, as advised by the board, a single uninterrupted recording of your programme. Schedules will be emailed and posted on the noticeboard
I would like you do create your coursework folder on your H drive before the end of Friday this week and put a draft PDF and MP3 file in it for all your compositions. I will then have something to submit even if you can no longer access the software and drives that you need. Please see the checklist file names etc. (here: https://moodle1.kedst.ac.uk/mod/folder/view.php?id=74762)
PLEASE DO THIS EVEN IF YOUR WORK IS NOT FINISHED.
- download the log and start filling it in so you are ready to email it to me if I ask for it
- Create a simple word document called simply “<name> To Do”.that lists the things in your piece as a bullet pointed list that you have yet to finish and place it in the same folder
Year 12 Homework w/c 16th March
Internal Composition Brief
For Tuesday 17th: Write B section and then put together ABA’ (look at brief but basically the B section fragments an idea from the A section and then ends up on a dominant pedal for 4-8 bars or so. You need to use the chords from alevelmusic really carefully to make it correct.)
See previous post below for brief, score of Haydn Rondo and other relevant documentation