Essay Homework – due Monday (A) / Tuesday (B)
Write a short essay on the development of the orchestra in symphonic music from 1750-1900. Use the list of pieces on the organiser given out in class to guide your research on the development of the symphony web page. You could also read the introductory section of the Rhinegold Study Guide.
Your essay must then be structured as followed, keeping symphonies in chronological order:
- Introduction (include explanation of basso continuo and transition from Baroque to Classical)
- Explain a few examples of early Classical pieces
- Brief mention of Haydn 104 (you can look at the score and notes on Moodle in the Year 12 Revision guide). You should use this as an example of the mature classical orchestra but mention the restrictions of natural brass etc.
- Explain a few examples of early and then late Romantic pieces
- Brief conclusion pointing out the major changes.