Write a pentatonic extract for any combination of instruments. I am interested in ATMOSPHERE and GESTURE and you must only use 12356 of a major scale
There are notes and examples here: https://alevelmusic.com/alevelcompositionhelp/3-composition-into-the-c20/new-scales/
If you have it, read the Into the Twentieth Century chapter of the Rhinegold Study Guide
Don’t forget your performance assessments next week check the schedule:
Composition deadlines (internal assessment):
- Friday 10th of May – FINAL DRAFT FOR FEEDBACK
- Wednesday 22nd of May – FINAL SUBMISSION
Internal exam (Tuesday 14th or Thursday 16th May)
Your revision booklets outline what will be in this exam. Essay topics will be B to F inclusive (i.e. NOT A or G )
Next week we have a TIMED ESSAY on Monday 8th (A) / Tuesday 9th (B) on symphonic SECOND (slow) movements.
Also next week you need to hand in for composition by the end of THURSDAY 11th:
- a completed rough draft of your Rondo (at least ABA’CABA’)
- a log sheet that documents your use of the 10 WCT Fingerprints (see file below)
This week you need to submit correction to your A section, a B section sketch and a reworked A section that finishes in the tonic to round of the first ABA’
Due Monday (A) / Wednesday (B)
For NEXT week (Monday 1st / Wednesday 3rd) I want correction plus a C section
I will check scores in the DOUBLE lesson next week to see that students are using Moodle notes and class notes to annotate their scores fully. They should have at LEAST as much as my annotated scores on Moodle. You should by then have completed Movements I, II and III. You will have to come to several tedious score annotating ‘detentions’ if you have not done this.
We will have a short answer quiz on the Haydn SECOND movement next week on Monday/Tuesday.
Looking ahead a little further, we will have an ESSAY on second movements on the Monday/Tuesday of the w/c 8th (last week of term)
Composition: Submit A section
Wondering what to do? Go back to the Rondo from Haydn 2 for inspiration:
- A group end of TUESDAY (moved from Monday)
- B group end of THURSDAY
Note: this week there is no lesson on MONDAY for A group so I will squeeze this in on Tuesday.
PERFORMANCE PAPERWORK DUE IN WEDNESDAY
From last week
– make sure you have submitted your Storm and Love Theme on Moodle
– listen to the Andante movement from the Haydn with the score at least twice
Internal Composition Assessment
You need to write your first section in draft and hand it by the end of Monday (A) / Wednesday (B) next week.
Composition (for the end of NEXT week – 8th March)
Write a sketch for orchestra (at least Haydn 104 size but can be larger) that depicts part of a storm.
You must include at least two of the storm features listed here on the ‘Storm Features’ page
AoS A (for next week’s double lesson – please bring to the lesson)
Find a programmatic piece by a Romantic composer and make brief notes as follows:
- summary of composer (dates, key pieces, key facts)
- summary of piece (date, what is it about etc.)
- one extract from the piece (a Youtube clip or similar) and what you think is particularly interesting or effective about the music (orchestration, harmony etc.)